I finished out the first semester of the GT O&P program exactly 11 days ago. I remember final exams being quite a blur in my undergrad days, with little sleep and even less information remaining in my brain after all the cramming. This first experience of grad school exams was much different. I did study, but I also had a little better approach and a much greater grasp on the concept of time management. I got plenty of sleep, I was still conscious at the end of finals week, I enjoyed a few holiday parties with classmates, and I was on my way to enjoy the holidays here in Baton Rouge.
I arrived in Baton Rouge a week ago today after a few quick trips to Augusta and Columbus. The following afternoon I drove to meet up with Marcia and then ride with her to Donaldsonville to meet her parents, also affectionately known as Maw-Maw and Paw-Paw. I had seen their pictures and spoken to them on the phone a few times, but it was truly a joy to finally meet them, hug them, and spend the evening with them in their warm and welcoming home. We enjoyed some wonderful corn and crawfish soup as well as deliciously marinated steaks. I left that night with the assurance that I was welcome anytime to return for a visit, and in fact I was sort of threatened (in a good way) not to be caught nearby without visiting.
The following day, my parents and I met Marcia and Roy for lunch in a little town between Baton Rouge and New Orleans. I think everyone was a little nervous at first, but we did enjoy a nice long lunch and some long-awaited conversation. I sort of sat back and observed most of the time, not contributing much to the discussion. I was at the end of the table, and I had my parents on my left and my birth mother and her husband on my right. As you might imagine, it was strange to say the least, but it was wonderful to put it mildly. I couldn’t ask to be surrounded by greater people on both sides of that table, and I was mostly just trying to comprehend it all as I watched them interact and listened to the words that they had waited so long to share with each other.
I spent the next few days in Baton Rouge, hanging out with my parents like I usually do when I am here. We did some shopping, saw a few movies, and ate out a little. Then on Saturday I ventured down to New Orleans to meet Marcia and Roy’s kids and spend the day with the whole family. We had a wonderful day full of good food, great weather, a very nice visit to the French Quarter, and some relaxing time at their house just visiting and playing games. It was a nice mix of time with the whole family and some time alone with Marcia to catch up and talk some more about this whole new world of knowing one another.

Today was of course Christmas, and I started the day here with my parents. We exchanged gifts and spoke with my brother and his family on the phone (they will be coming here on Wednesday). Then we showered up and went to the house of some family friends for lunch and a white elephant gift exchange. We stayed over there until late afternoon, and then I drove to Donaldsonville to Maw-Maw and Paw-Paw’s house. I met two of Marcia’s siblings as well as some of my new cousins, and we watched football, ate dinner, and hung out for a few hours. They all looked basically like the pictures I have seen and were of course extremely nice and inviting. I wish I had remembered to take some pictures with them before I left!
I’m sure that all of this new information sparks a few questions: What is it like? or How do you feel? I must say, it’s really hard to say. I can say with certainty that I feel good, very happy, and all around almost elated. I started out very carefully in this process of meeting my new family and gauging my (adoptive) family’s reactions and feelings. I never felt any resistance whatsoever from my family, but I was of course concerned for them and for myself as we approached unknown territory. I was equally concerned for Marcia and her family as we moved forward and have spent much time together and in communication. I have probably never prayed so much for any situation in my life, and I’ll be darned if God doesn’t show up big time when that much prayer is lifted up to Him. I read a comment by another adoptee recently who stated that he had two families but felt like he was not fully part of either one. I can definitely see what he meant, as there is the genetic disconnection with my adoptive family and the 28-year disconnection from my biological family. Despite those disconnections, I feel intimately connected to both of my families, and better yet, they are becoming connected to each other as well.
Christmas is winding down with only a few more minutes remaining before midnight, but I hope yours was wonderfully Merry this year. Mine certainly has been.
1 comment:
thanks for the update KC! Loving you and loving watching this story unfold :)
h
Post a Comment