Sunday, February 01, 2009

Spring Preview

Let it be recorded that today in Ann Arbor, on February 1, the temperature rose to 38 degrees. And the sun was blazing gloriously in the sky. It was truly a day to remember in the midst of what most people here have described as the worst Winter they can recall.

I never thought I would say this about 38 degrees, but it actually felt warm. In honor of this wonderful weather today, I did the following:

(1) wore a skirt to church (not happening when the temp is below 30)
(2) drove around with my sunroof open (after the ice all melted off the top glass)
(3) sported my under-used sunglasses
(4) went running in only one pair of pants, and a top of course
(5) opened all the blinds so Kelsey could bask in the warm rays (and she did)

Just when I was about to break out the flip-flops to make this day perfect, the clouds rolled in and the sun disappeared. Ok, flip-flops were just a bad idea, but can't a girl dream? I am thinking spring, just like this ice sculpture I saw last weekend beckoned me to do:


Last weekend when I went to see the International Ice Sculpture festival in Plymouth, MI, the temperature hovered around 8 degrees all day with a wind chill of -9. Here are a few other images from that frigid day. In the meantime, I will be thinking of spring and hoping the groundhog does not see his shadow tomorrow.


Mickey Mouse


with Amy in front of some sort of warrior


Sculpture by "Team Japan"; they made all the impressive ones


Nancy and I with our new President

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WoW!!! Now that's something you would never see in Georgia! Stay warm my friend!

Anonymous said...

Ice sculptures...hmmm, makes me cold just thinking of it. I'm writing to say I was thinking of you on your birthday and hope it was 'warm' in ways other than temperature!
Love,
Julie T.
where it's cold but not Ann Arbor kind of cold