Saturday, November 27, 2010

Who was Michael Cave?

Who was Michael Cave? The short answer: He was a teenager in Augusta, GA. He got sick 12 days ago, was unconscious within a few days, and he died 8 days ago. I didn’t know Michael. I saw his name and his picture on Facebook the week that he was sick. Many were praying for him that week, for his healing and recovery. The day after Michael died, I ran into his youth pastor in Augusta. Along with the harsh reality of Michael’s death, he proclaimed with confidence the glorious truth about Michael, “He is 100% healed. He’s with Jesus.” This was not a trite statement, not an empty catch-phrase said to bring false comfort, it was and is the truth, the reality of a promise that even most believers in Jesus have a hard time grasping. Michael was a believer in Jesus, and his family asked their pastor to share one thing with their church family 2 days after his death: He had no time. He got sick, and then he was unconscious before anyone knew what was happening. He had no time to ask questions of God, to wrestle with God, to decide once and for all if he would believe in this God and in His son Jesus. Thankfully, he had already made this choice. I am sharing this brief story because the question I started with, “Who was Michael Cave?” is the wrong question, though I have no doubt he was a great person and will be dearly missed. The right question for me and for us all is, “Who is Michael Cave’s God?”

“Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom.” -Isaiah 40:28

1 comment:

Marcia said...

Awesome and wonderful reflection!!