I never cease to be amazed at the ability of Dr. Ortlund (Dr. Raymond C. Ortlund, Jr. to be exact) can convey truth in a profound way. Below is an excerpt from the sermon he preached last Sunday at his church in Nashville.
The goodness of God, better than every other desire, is the truth being advertised through the church. If God were to deed over to you his whole creation as your personal possession and you became unimaginably rich forever, with all the world at your command, your wealth would be real because everything God makes has worth. But you would also go on forever wondering why you felt so empty and frustrated and angry. God created us for uncreated joys. He created us for himself. The Bible says about a wealthy man, “Jesus looked on him and loved him” (Mark 10:21). His love is better than wealth, and that is the most underrated truth in America today. Moses prayed, “Show me your glory.” God answered, “I will make all my goodness pass before you” (Exodus 33:18-19). The Bible says, “Oh, how abundant is your goodness” (Psalm 31:19). “Oh give thanks to the Lord, for he is good” (Psalm 106:1; 107:1). “Oh taste and see that the Lord is good” (Psalm 34:8). “He gives good things to those who ask him” (Matthew 7:11). His will is good (Romans 12:2). In all things he works for the good of those who love him (Romans 8:28). “Surely goodness and mercy shall pursue me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever” (Psalm 23:6).
What really caught my attention the most was the statement that "God created us for uncreated joys." I don't think I realize how easily I am swayed to equate joy with something - anything - in this world. What a great reminder that while things in this world can and do bring joy, our ultimate joy can only be found in God himself. Even in some of the verses that Ortlund uses, it is my tendency to equate "good" with something I can see or touch, something created. If only I could remember every day that I am created for uncreated joys, life would be more simple.
No comments:
Post a Comment