Sunday, April 02, 2006

Cooper River Memorial Workout

First of all, I would like to congratulate all my friends who took on the Cooper River Bridge Run yesterday and conquered it once again. Julie especially, after recovering from a vicious bout with mono a few months ago, completed without walking! Great job Jules!

Today, in loving memory of the race I did not run yesterday, I took to the streets to push myself in a similar way. Instead of running 6.2 miles, though, I threw in a kink to start early in preparing for the Mistletoe Triathlon, which I hope to race in June. I started by pulling my bike out of the shed, dusting it off, pumping up the tires, and locating all my gear, which has been stashed away for almost 2 years. I rode downtown, around, and back, about 16 miles. It wasn't an intense ride by any means, but not a bad workout at all. I then took about a 30 minute break, stretched, changed shoes, and set out for a 3.1 mile run. I have to say, I was struggling big time, probably in part due to the pre-run bikeride and in part due to the fact that the temp is about 80-85 today. Nonetheless, I finished with a few short walks in 30min45sec. (That included a short stop to give someone directions also.) All in all, I was happy with the workout and feel that I have now somewhat redeemed the lost challenge of the Cooper yesterday.

Oh, and I was also breaking in new running shoes. I had been waiting until after the race buy new shoes and start breaking them in, though I desperately needed some, so I bought some yesterday. So far, two thumbs up. As a woman, I have to admit that sadly it is more fun for me to have new running shoes than new sandals or boots or any other footwear. My family used to call me "Happy Feet" for a few weeks after I got new running shoes, because I walked as though on the tops of clouds. So if you see me sporting my new footwear, you may note the happy spring in my step... I just can't help it.

2 comments:

Julie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Julie said...

Thanks, K! We REALLY missed you. I shaved 2 minutes off of my time -- without a spoiler!

Wow, what a great workout! Can't wait to "ring the bell" at Mistletoe.

Looking forward to seeing the shoes,
Jules