"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." ~John Fitzgerald Kennedy
Sunday, September 03, 2006
Trial by Fire
Tonight was my first job as a banquet server (see blog August 2), and boy was it an interesting introduction to this line of work! I showed up about 20 minutes early, so the "captain" for the evening told me to wait until the start of the party. All I knew was what time it started and to be at the hotel a little early, nothing about the event. Well, I sat and waited a few minutes in the back area where the kitchen and all the storage rooms are. Then all of the sudden a frenzy began, someone handed my white gloves and told me to put them on, then they handed me a tray of hors d'oeuvres and sent me through some double-doors. Before I knew what was happening, I was being attacked by a hungry mob of well-dressed people, who I soon realized were the guests at a Jewish wedding reception. I ran in and out, refilling my tray, for the better part of an hour, and the mob finally seemed to be satiated with food after about 45 minutes. Meanwhile, I was swapping the tray from one arm to the other in the hopes that neither arm would fall off. Luckily, my arms did stay on. The night went on and continued into the next room, set up in typical wedding reception style with round tables and a dance floor. The party droned on forever, and my interest in observing the people and being an outsider at a wedding wore off as my back began to stiffen. I am happy to report that I did not drop or break anything, which was my goal for the evening. I also walked away with a souvenir that someone left on a table. Apparently they give these out at Jewish weddings to the men:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment