Monday, November 06, 2006

Promoting

I almost hate to share what I am about to write, because it reveals a certain amount of hypocrisy in myself. But oh well, who am I to pretend that I am not a hypocrite?

Today, for the first time in a long time, I had the privilige and joy of promoting a field, a career, and a vision that I truly believe in. Some of us who are in the MSPO program and part of an organization called POP (Promoting Orthotics and Prosthetics) participated in a technology fair at Tech today that highlighted technology in the realm of disabilities. I truly enjoyed the opportunity to answer questions and share about why I love this field, why it is so exciting, and why others should love it as well. You can see here that I was really enjoying myself:


On the other hand, back in my previous career, I was equally involved in promoting the field. The difference was that I didn't truly believe in it. Now, I wouldn't say that I was entirely lying or deceiving, as I did and do believe that nuclear power can be a great career for some people. But it wasn't the career for me, so I often had to muster up the enthusiasm to get me through a career fair or high school educational visit. You can see here that I really looked like I was enjoying myself:



But the reality is that I was basically just acting in that previous career, acting like I loved it, acting like it was terribly exciting, and acting like others should really love it too. I am so thankful now to be able to just be myself and to not have to act but truly promote what I do with enthusiasm that does not have to be mustered up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, Captain Hook, I can see you are very happy. A word of caution, however; your "bootees" look like cement overshoes which look good on only a very few people.
--dad