Sunday, November 12, 2006

Rebirth

More accurate than "rebirth" would probably be "regrowth", but I used the word rebirth for a reason. To what am I referring? I am writing of my poor, previously smashed, dead fingernail. This is somewhat of a gross topic, I know, which is why I managed to talk myself out of posting photos for all the world to see. Nonetheless, I am amazed to report that today I first noticed the new nail that is growing in behind the old and dead one. I knew this regrowth would happen, as it is a natural reponse from a healthy body, but I am utterlly amazed anyway. It is amazing that we can destroy, however unintentionally, certain parts of our bodies and they will grow right back. I know there is a finite limit to this concept, but it is still pretty impressive. What is so impressive is the precision with which our bodies know to create certain types of cells in certain places with specific compositions and functions. As I am witnessing this take place on the nail bed of my left index finger, I am in awe of the complexity that I take for granted when the nail grows every day of my life in a minute and invisible proportion. Our skin does the same thing, constantly replenishing and rejuventating itself every day of our lives. Bones do too, and the list goes on. Because my old fingernail had literally become disconnected from the back of the nail bed, it is truly like watching the birth of a new nail as this very slow process is finally becoming visible (my injury occurred on September 21). So if you are feeling a little weary, or if you feel like your old bones are just not what they used to be, find encouragement in your rebirth today. There are wonderful new cells being created in you all the time!

1 comment:

maslyn said...

David Wilcox sings a song and tells a story (Stronger in the Broken Places) about his wife's broken leg bone. As they visit the doctor while looking at the x-ray of the break, Wilcox asks how the cells know where to go to fill in the broken space (cells apparently fill in from either side and meet in the middle). The doctor said after some hesitation, "I don't know". David Wilcox thought this was a great answer since it leaves so much up to the concept of a God who does know! It was reassuring, in a strange way, to think that those who we think are supposed to know, don't know. Here's to rebirth and a God who knows, even if we don't!