Sunday, August 27, 2006

Hi, I'm "---------", May I Touch Your Feet Now?

The above introduction characterizes one aspect of the first week of class for me and my classmates. First we were shaking hands and finding out where everyone is from... next thing you know, we are palpating each other's bony landmarks. I actually asked someone on Friday if I could please feel their subtalar joint, and that was ok (it's just in the foot). Anyway, I'm sure this is a common encounter in medical academia, but it has been a first for me. It was not uncomfortable, as we are all equally in the position of knowing this is just how we will have to learn, but I found it rather amusing how quickly we progressed from introductions to palpations.

Other thoughts from the first week...

I don't know if I will ever be able to read fast enough to keep up with all of our reading assignments. I didn't do the math, but I think we have averaged about 500 pages per week for the first 2 weeks.

Despite the fact that we will be VERY BUSY and quite challenged to keep up with all the info, I couldn't be more excited about this stuff.

I am wicked excited about starting our clinical rotations. For this semester, they are assigned and pre-determined. My roommate and I lucked up and got orthopedics first, so we will be watching ortho surgeries for our first two rotation weeks (which is just one day a week).

Note to self: ALWAYS carry umbrella in Atlanta.

No comments: