Thursday, October 19, 2006

The Artist in Me

Today my classmates and I spent the whole day in the fabrication lab. Our task was to take a plaster positive mold of a foot (up to just below the knee) and modify it to a state of perfection for the creation of an Ankle Foot Orthosis. First of all, it does not shock me entirely that a certain amount of artistic skill is required in this profession. I knew that well before I got to this point. It does shock me, however, just how deep down the artist in me is hiding. I have been getting so darn frustrated with trying to create a masterpiece out of plaster. I had to stop a few times today just to take a deep breath, walk out into the basement hallway for fresh air, and give myself a pep talk. I know that practice will greatly improve my skills, and eventually I will find this to be a much more natural process. Until then, I will be trying to coax the artist in me to come out of her shell, and quickly.

No comments: