I have written a few times before about different inspiring moments or people that have reminded me why my new career direction is going to be so wonderful. Today I experienced a moment that brought that inspiration to a whole new level. I actually met this man, who is probably in his late 50s or 60s, a few weeks ago in the physical therapy clinic that I have been rotating with. He had experienced a stroke 10-12 years ago and was walking with some trouble but mostly complained of back pain, which was why he was seeing the PT. In addition to some muscoloskeletal difficulties, he has a very hard time talking, almost as though his tongue is too large and just doesn't cooperate in the mouth movement process. You may have seen this muffled effect before in a patient or someone you know after a stroke. While his mind seemed to be working just fine, his communication could not keep up with his thoughts. Well, I was in the PT clinic today and in rolls this man in a wheelchair and dressed in hospital issued clothing. Two weeks ago he had walked in on his own as an outpatient, so I immediately went over to him to say hello and inquire about why he had been admitted to the hostpital. We began what I knew would be a difficult conversation for us both, for him in trying to talk and for me in trying to understand, but we were getting through it pretty well. Then he tried to say something that I couldn't understand. I asked him to repeat what he said, and I still didn't understand. He eventually motioned that he wanted to write down what he was trying to say, because I just wasn't able to decipher his words. I handed him my pen and a scrap piece of paper, and he wrote down the following:

I don't really have the right words to describe how this hit me as I read it, looking into this man's kind blue eyes and realizing how hard every day must be for him. I can only pray that as I interact more and more with people like him that I will be a source of comfort and induce hope in the face of suffering or shame. It is an honor to be given such an opportunity to come alongside other people in this world.
No comments:
Post a Comment