Thursday, January 05, 2006

The Lord's Prayer, Personalized

I'm in the middle of some major spring cleaning here on January 5, 2006. I'm finding that most of the "stuff" to sort through is paper, more paper, tons of paper, and yet more paper. Mail, notes, cards, packets, etc. from years past. Some are now ready to be thrown away and some are still worth saving. I just came across this extended version of the Lord's Prayer that I wrote down a few years ago in September 2002 while on a retreat. I remember it being a very worthwhile practice to say the Lord's Prayer while expanding on it to make it more personal. I would recommend it. Here is what I recorded that day:

"My Father, who is in heaven and reigns over the earth, who created all things and knows all things, who was and is and is to come, who loves me and gave his son for me, who is slow to anger and abounding in love, and whose mercies are new every morning of every day.

Hallowed be your name, glory to you and praise to your kingdom, you are worthy of praise and of trust, you are holy and righteous, you are the beginning and the end, you are the Lord of Lords and the King of Kings, you are almighty God.

May your kingdom come and your will be done on earth as it is in heaven, may you shower the earth with your glory and establish your kingdom here among us and within us.

Give me today my daily bread, fill me with your goodness, with the bread of life, sustain my body and my spirit by your grace and power.

Forgive me my debts as I forgive my debtors. Fill my heart Lord with the reality and understanding of your forgiveness that I might extend it through your grace to those around me. Change my heart, God, that I might accept your forgiveness as a free gift and therefore offer freely my understanding and compassion and love to those who need it in your timing and by your design.

Lead me not into temptation Lord, and protect me from evil. Father, show me the way to be focused on eternal things, to look past the enticing world around me. Change my mind, Lord, that it would be transformed from a self-serving, self-focused, self-feeding perspective into a God-fearing, God-serving, obedient and thankful perspective.

For your kingdom reigns forever, for all eternity, and your kingdom will reign in the hearts of your people over the power of Satan and all evil. Thank you Father for the victory over sin that you have granted through your son Christ and that I will spend eternity in heaven with you both."

No comments: