I am happy to report that the blog is back up and running (though not new and improved), and I am also back up and running after yesterday's test. In fact, the test wasn't that bad. I can't say I aced either the written or practical sections, but they were not as hard as I had expected. I almost feel that I over-studied, but that is a much better feeling than under-studying.
The movie last night at Piedmont was great! There must have been about 10,000 people there, all sprawled out on the lawn with blankets, pillows, food, beverages, you name it. Everyone was so closely packed in that you literally could not walk through the crowd without stepping on people's blankets, but they also had aisles marked out for walking. The best part about it was we were watchhing Ferris Bueller's Day Off, and of course 99% of the people there knew it by heart. So for all the great lines -- "Bueller, Bueller, Bueller", "anyone, anyone...the Great Depression", "he'll keep calling me, he'll keep calling me until I come over" -- the crowd was reciting in unison. And during the parade when Ferris gets up and sings Twist&Shout, about half of the crowd got up and twisted and shouted. It was like a gigantic slumber party in the park!
Other thoughts of the week:
(1) When I get home from being gone for any amount of time, my dog walks right up to me and unabashedly indicates that she must be rubbed and touched immediately as though it is a matter of life and death. She indicates this by whining pathetically and rolling over on her back in such a way that she is covering at least part of my feet. This way I must touch her, even if it is just to move her out of the way. Wouldn't it be great if we, as humans, could so openly express our need for contact every day. Most of us go about our days in our little solitary worlds and even go out of our way to NOT touch people. But I'm not ashamed to admit that at the end of the day I often feel like Kelsey: could someone please just rub my back a little and show me the love?
(2) The more time I spend with The Captain in lab (and the other cadaver, which is female), the more I have been having strange thoughts about our mortality. I expected to be shocked by having to face death on the first day of class and basically get used to the idea, but that's not how it's happened at all. I have gotten used to being around the bodies, the smell, and the idea of dissecting literally EVERY part of the body. I am not, however, getting used to the idea of death itself. It is very strange. I mean, I have thought about it before, and I know we will all die, and I understand that is just the way of the universe, and I am certainly comforted sometimes when I think about heaven versus life on this earth. But it is still just eerie to realize how our bodies work and how vulnerable they are and how we just don't know when life will expire for us. I know this is not the most pleasant of topics, but I am just getting my thoughts out there to try to sort through them. I guess the reality of each day being a gift and not a given is a good way to sum up my thoughts so far.
(3) On a related but different note, as we are learning about the human body, I have been awestruck by the brilliance and intricacy of our bodies. I have learned much of the facts before, but seeing the reality of how everything fits together and realizing how we are literally "knit together" as the Psalmist says has baffled me. I don't see how anyone could possibly believe that anything other than God himself is responsible for taking ONE CELL, a zygote, and creating from that a living and breathing human being. If you have no real conception of what is under your skin, trust me it is absolutely amazing!
(4) And finally, last but not least, I would like to once again comment on my love for Atlanta. This week I have particularly appreciated the exercise-friendliness of the city. I have been running and realizing that no matter where I go, there is always either a sidewalk or a worn trail on the side of the road from previous runners. And the cyclists are everywhere! I love seeing them and would love to be riding around as well, but I have not yet been bold enough to brave the curvy streets around here for fear of cars.
No comments:
Post a Comment