Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Grocery Store Incosistencies

One of the little nuances of moving that hit me this week is the "new-grocery-store-organization-learning-curve". Now, I have visited my new (old, but new to me) local Kroger several times since moving here to Atlanta, but yesterday I really got stumped over an item on my list.

During one of my first trips to this store, which is significantly larger than any of the Kroger stores in Augusta, I spent about 10 minutes searching around the freezer section area for ice cream. What threw me off with the ice cream was a small section of ice cream located at one of the little end freezers. Inside this small freezer was an assortment of Kroger brand ice cream containers and a few varieties of popscicles. I of course insisted on finding the Breyers (I may be a student, but I still have taste buds), so I searched back and forth and up and down the adjoining aisles before finally finding the ice cream - on the same aisle as the beer. Not a bad combination, but I have not seen this particular storage strategy before. Anyway, that was several weeks ago, and most of my other trips were relatively uneventful until last night...

I had a little trouble finding minced garlic, but that did not stump me nearly as significantly as the Saltine crackers. At my previous Kroger location, the Saltines were located somewhere in the vicinity of the snacks, which were near the cereals on the right side of the store upon entering. At this new Kroger, the "Crackers" are located way on the left side of the store, one aisle over from the chips and sodas. After much searching on the right side of the store near the cereals and soups, I finally zeroed in on this "Cracker" aisle and figured I had finally found the Saltines. I quickly walked down the aisle with no luck, so then I slowly walked back up the aisle and still had no luck. Then I went one aisle over and scoured the "Chips and Pretzels" but still no luck. I sighed and proceeded back towards the trusty right side of the store, thinking of course the Saltines will be over there just like they were in Augusta - I must have just missed something. Finally, after this failed me again and I had procured everything else on my list, I asked one of the stockers where the Saltines were, and he directed me to the left side of the store. So I went back over and repeated the previously described search to no avail. After almost giving up on the elusive Saltines, I asked another employee and FINALLY was directed to the "Snacks" aisle, which did in fact contain the Saltines. This aisle was way beyond the "Crackers" and the "Chips and Pretzels", beyond even the beer, ice cream, and all other frozen foods. It was on one of the farthest aisles to the left, next to the Bakery. I have no idea who decided to string out the crackers, chips, and snacks in separate locations, who decided that Saltines are in fact "Snacks" instead of "Crackers", or who allows Kroger locations to adopt such vastly different store organization strategies, but I do know that the next time I do not find an item right away at the Howell Mill Rd. Kroger, I will immediately ask for help before wasting 20 minutes walking up and down aisles in a grocery store stupor.

No comments: