Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Foot in Mouth

Ok, I have to admit, and I might as well admit publicly, I have been put in my place by God himself tonight. This past Sunday, I heard a sermon entitled, "Why be a Generous Christian?" by a pastor visiting Intown Community Church from a church in Colorado Springs. I was not particularly impressed with the sermon for a few reasons:

(1) It was obviously a canned sermon that this particular pastor preaches all over creation. This was obvious by the speed with which he spoke and the fact that he was selling a book and giving seminars on the very topic of his sermon.
(2) The sermon incorporated a few biblical references but largely emphasized the stories of people who trusted God for such-and-such money and had miracles occur to provide that money.

Now, don't get me wrong, I do believe that God provides for us. I do believe that when we trust him and pray specifically for his provision that he can provide for our needs if he so desires. Despite my belief in these truths, though, I actually verbally (out loud, to other people) stated that the sermon was lacking because of the implied cause-and-effect relationship between trusting God for something and having it provided by God. This may not be making any sense, but lets just say that I was somewhat of a naysayer in response to the stories of faithful people who received abundant returns (financially) from God. And now God enters into this story of my unbelief...

Earlier this evening, I sat down and balanced my checkbook. I looked ahead to next month's expected expenses and tried to decide how much money to budget for the month. I came up with a number that seemed a bit low and did not account for unforeseen expenses, but I decided to go ahead and budget with this amount and trust that God would arrange for me to make it through the month without overdrawing my checking account. I then packed up my backpack and headed to Starbucks to study. I normally study at home, but I wanted a change of scenery, and I decided that one trip to Starbucks (I have not been yet since moving here) would be ok, especially if I only bought regular coffee instead of my favorite cafe au lait. Well, I ordered a regular coffee, the guy went to pour it before taking my money, and then he turned around to tell me it was still brewing and would be a few minutes. I said that would be fine, that I would go ahead and pay for it and he could just yell when it was ready. He then waves his hand and says that this one will be on him since he will be inconveniencing me with having to wait for my freshly brewed coffee. I insisted that it was no inconvenience at all, but he still would not let me pay. Hmm, interesting "coincidence". THEN, I sat down and started studying, and they guy completely forgot about my coffee. I waited and waited, made eye contact and everything, and he just did not remember. So I went up to the counter and reminded him, at which point he briskly whipped a coupon out of his pocket for a free "any starbucks beverage" and apologized profusely for having now inconvenienced me twice in one visit. I could not believe this was happening (seriously, I never get free stuff), but I took the coupon and took my coffee and continued to study.

On my way home, I had to laugh at myself, thinking (despite the relatively small amount of freebies) that I had just seen an example of God providing for me , literally right after I had prayed about my monthly expenses. I love it when God takes me by surprise like that, answering prayer when I really don't even expect Him to. It makes me feel like an idiot, but sometimes I need to be reminded that I'm just a kid, just a child of God who has to be reminded every day that He loves me, listens to me, and looks out for me. What a great reminder.

2 comments:

maslyn said...

At four dollars plus per beverage, I'd say you got some great freebies! I think God must get a kick out of finding new ways to surprise us with his love and provision.

I've enjoyed the blogs lately. It's good to be reminded that God is good and that He is in control.

Anonymous said...

Wow Kristin. I feel like I just read a page from a devotional book. What a great story.

love ya