I will start by clarifying that the lack of blog this week has not been due to lack of material. It's been a very full and interesting week, but I've been quite busy. Last weekend I was pretty bored hanging around Atlanta mostly by myself, but I won't be bored again for at least another 6 weeks. My summer anatomy class started on Wednesday, and we will will be literally covering the whole body inside and out over the short span of six weeks. I will spare most details on the cadaver experience for a few reasons:
(1) I don't want to offend anyone who doesn't like such subjects.
(2) There really aren't sufficient words to describe the experience.
So if you have been there and done that, then you probably know what I mean. If you have not, trust me it is a unique, disturbing, interesting, humbling, demanding, and invigorating experience. If anyone else who has experienced it would like to offer up some adjectives, please share. I will say that my group is great and I know we will really glean a lot from this course. We have named our cadaver The Captain, so if I reference that name in the future you will know to whom I am referring.
Other happenings of the week included a small dinner party on Tuesday night with a few classmates, a trip to the Fabulous Fox Theatre on Thursday night to see the movie Crash, and the Jimmy Buffet concert last night at the HiFi Buys Amphitheatre. That was my first time to see Jimmy Buffet in concert, and I have to say I enjoyed it for the most part. Unfortunately, about an hour before the show, Atlanta experienced the worst rain and thunderstorm in recent memory, complete with terrifying lightning and raging rivers in the streets. I waited for most of this to pass and decided to go ahead and go to the concert, where we had "lawn" seats. The rain continued on and off for the entire evening, so for the first hour of the concert I was basically miserable and wishing I had not decided to tough it out. But after I was sufficiently soaked and able to stop kicking myself, I thoroughly enjoyed the music and had a great time.
After the concert, our group stopped at Waffle House for coffee and a midnight meal. I am sorry to report that we received absolutely sub-par service. We must have been there 20 minutes before anyone even had a cup of hot coffee in front of them, and the rest of the experience was just as bad if not worse.
Today I have tried my best to study but am having trouble focusing. I decided around 11:30 to go to a nearby cafe and try to study there, but it turned out to be much less cool than it looked. Well, it actually was pretty cool, but there were no other customers. I also didn't see any employees in the cafe, so I wasn't feeling positive about being able to get lunch there. The place is part of Defoor Centre, which also has an art gallery and used book store. I walked through the book store (which is basically like a dilapidated library) and wasn't terribly impressed. One guy, apparently an employee, was sitting in the bookstore but was not very friendly. He obviously likes books more than people, as he managed to make eye contact with me but did not so much as say hello when I cheerily greeted him and asked how he was doing (as any good Southerner would do). So I left that place, picked up a sub to go, and now I'm back home trying to focus here. So far I have managed only to eat my sub and write this blog. Maybe now I will start studying.
No comments:
Post a Comment