"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." ~John Fitzgerald Kennedy
Sunday, February 12, 2006
Joy
I have been realizing this weekend just how quickly things change, how the ebb and flow of life can take sharp turns without the slightest warning. My life has not changed drastically of late, but the flow of it seems to have changed much. The relaxed mundane pace with which this year started as I returned to a normal work schedule has evolved into a more stressed, stretched, and spontaneously changing pace in the past few weeks. Some circumstances have played a role in this, such as my class becoming more time consuming, Bible study getting into full swing, and work taking more time than the 8 hours a day I was spending there in January. I went for a run this afternoon along the canal, and I was thinking about this change. In addition to the change of physical pace, my heart's pace has been affected. I am being reminded of the battle that must be fought to maintain a focus on what is important before getting dragged into the "urgent" distractions all around. Just one month ago, as life's pace was slower and refreshingly normal, I really sensed a true joy in my heart. In my Bible study we are learning about the fruits of the spirit, of which one is joy, and it is defined as "delight in God for the beauty and worth of who he is." In addition to this definition of what joy IS, the study points out that it is NOT something that can be lost based on circumstances. In light of that truth, I took a little extra time today to stop and think, to look ahead at my week and anticipate the crazy long days, and to realize that my battle this week will be a real one. I know I've quoted the wise Ferris Bueller on this before, but I will state it again, "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." I don't want to miss it. As for some inspiration from a more established author, 1 Peter 5:8 says, "Be self controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour." The devil would just love for me and you to get lost in the shuffle, be overcome by the urgent, and to hold loosely to a joy based on circumstances. May we be self-controlled and alert this week - alert to the coming onslaught of busyness or even loneliness that will attempt to suck the life and joy out of us, and self-controlled in remembering to seek and savor the true joy that is all around us.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
That's a great definition of joy -- delighting in God for who He is -- not what He gives. Hope your week has been full of this sort of joy.
Post a Comment