I don't really know what happened today, but lets just say the Lord has blessed my legs... After years of trying to break the perpetual 10 minute mile, I broke it by a longshot today. I hope this was not just a fluke, but in all likelihood it was. The stars must be aligned just right or something. It was so beautiful outside today, I thought about running all day. I pictured myself running as I was walking around the plant in slacks and loafers. So, despite a long and busy day at work and staying late and having to study for a test tomorrow night, I changed and hit the streets as soon as I got home. I decided to run my 5-mile out and back route, and I seriously wasn't sure if I could run the whole thing. My goal was to get home in 50 minutes, partly because I wanted to stay under or at the 10-minute mile and partly because I was pressed for time. Well, I think I ran the first mile in about 8 minutes. Wow! I thought I better slow down so I wouldn't keel over after the second mile, but I kept a pretty decent pace. I could actually tell that I was running faster than normal, but it felt good, so I just kept running. I got to my turnaround point at 22:18. Ok, stop here and notice that this is LESS than a 9-minute mile pace (which would have been 22:30 for the 2.5 miles). So I turned around and just kept running, thinking if I could run a 10-minute pace on the way back I would be very pleased with the run. I got back to my house at 45:37! I have been looking at my watch all night just to make sure I wasn't hallucinating. I drove out the route beforehand, so I know it was 5 miles. So I know this is a long story, but please forgive me because I am beside myself over this run. With the total time, it comes out to 9 minutes, 7.39 seconds per mile. I know that isn't fast in running world standards, but compared to the unbreakable 10-minute mile this is unbelievable. I decided a few weeks ago that my goal for the upcoming Cooper River Bridge Run 10K would be to finish in under 1 hour. My past performances were 1:09:56 (2003) and 1:17:53 (2004). At today's pace, I will have no problem meeting that goal. Like I said, I hope this wasn't a fluke. Barring unforeseen injuries, I think I will make it under the goal time. And now, if you are still reading, let me remind you of what my blog said on November 8, 2005: "I was just happy to run, even just a few blocks, and get some fresh air." So just a little under 4 months ago, running a few blocks was a major milestone. I could continue to drone on about this and add in lots of spiritual encouragement, but I will leave it at that.
Continue to bless these legs, O Lord, for they art thine, not mine.
1 comment:
K, that's awesome! Wait for me at the finish line, 20 minutes after you cross it!!!
Post a Comment