Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Bamboo

You shouldn't need to look too closely at this photo to realize that the bamboo, sadly, is dead. The last smidgeon if green life at the tips of the leaves will soon become yellow as the stalks no longer pass nutrients through their lifeless cells. While lifeless plants are not normally a novelty at my house, this one struck me as interesting. These two stalks of bamboo have been a staple in my kitchen for over 3 years now. I obtained the bamboo, along with the nice vase, from my cousin Curt's wedding in December 2002. Once there were three stalks, but the third one did not live as long as these two. You will notice that the left stalk is significantly more prolonged in death than the right stalk. Just a little over a week ago, I sadly noted that the left stalk was struggling. I added water and hoped that it might be revived. Today, the verdict is apparently out: the left stalk will not be revived but take down the right one with it. My first thought was, "Oh good, one less thing to have to pack and move!" Then I sadly noted to myself that the death of the bamboo has occurred within eerie proximity to my departure from Augusta. I cannot ignore that a part of me is dying as I leave this place. I know it is necessary that some part of myself die in order to move forward and embrace a new city, new home, and new career - but I haven't yet reached the state of embracing that little death inside of me. I would be happy to pack the bamboo now and take it with me if I could avoid the inevitable pain it represents.

No comments: