Saturday, May 27, 2006

Atlanta Notes

A few things noted thus far about Atlanta and it's largeness:

1. I now have 6 phone books instead of 1.
2. I cannot count the Waffle Houses, but I estimate there are between 150-200 in the Atlanta metro area. I have noticed there is no comprehensive map (that I can find) which marks all the WHs. I may make an attempt at this if I ever become computer savvy.
3. There are upwards of 80,000 registered tennis players.
4. No matter where you go, there is a parking "plan". As in, they will indicate either on their website or in front of their establishment where you can and cannot park if you are going to their place. This goes for restaurants, churches, everything.
5. Just minutes from my condo is the start of a paved trail (for biking, running, walking, etc) that extends all the way to the Georgia-Alabama state line. I think it's about 60 miles long. In Augusta, the longest trail of this type was approximately 6 miles long.
6. There are 10 Presbyterian PCA churches in Atlanta. That only includes Atlanta proper. There are more in Alpharetta and other such suburbs. I am not limiting my church search to the PCA, but it could take months just to visit all of these, which I don't intend to do.

This is all I have so far, after 2 days of officially living in Atlanta. I'm not overwhelmed by this city as much as I am just dumbfounded. I mean, I've been here before, but I've never fully appreciated the sheer swell of activity marked with such well established efficiency. The city is always growing and changing, but it is intimately in tune with and adapting to itself. I love it.

1 comment:

Julie said...

K,

Best of luck in class tomorrow. Make sure you follow Emory's parking plan. Hope you have time for a WH cup of coffee to start your day off well. Enjoy the swell of Atlanta activity as things continue to move ever-so-slowly here in Augusta.

Love ya,
Julie