Do you ever feel like God is really bringing home a certain message to you? It’s interesting sometimes, how we come across the same truth in different forms all in a short span of time. Today, I’ve been pointedly reminded over and over of the best truth of all:
Every single day that goes by, I don’t measure up to the righteousness that God requires of me. And every single day, the righteousness of Christ is freely offered to me as a replacement for what I cannot attain on my own.
The 3 reminders I had of this today were as follows:
(1) This morning’s sermon at church was from Luke 4, where Jesus was tempted by the devil. Three separate times, Jesus was challenged to turn from God, and all three times Jesus did what you and I cannot do. He remembered God’s command, he clung to God’s promises, and he resisted the temptation before him. And because we cannot do this, God allows the performance of Christ to be ours as well.
(2) After church, I went to Waffle House for my usual Sunday breakfast, though I usually go before church. I brought my Bible to read while eating, and I turned to Romans 12, where I left off yesterday morning. As I was reading, I noticed an underlined verse on the previous page, Romans 11:32. It says, “For God has bound all men over to disobedience so that he may have mercy on them all.” Not only does God freely offer his mercy to us, he reminds us that there is not one person who is not in need of it, not one.
(3) This afternoon, I was reading The Great Divorce, by C.S. Lewis. I actually wanted to pick up a simple novel a few days ago and realized that I have already packed them all. So instead I picked up this book, the only unpacked book that I have not yet read. I don’t exactly understand what’s going on in the book, but I think the characters are people who have died and are either in heaven or hell, or somewhere in between. Two of them get into a heated discussion. One guy, who is not in heaven, says, “Look at me, now. I gone straight all my life. I don’t say I was a religious man and I don’t say I had no faults, far from it. But I done my best all my life, see? I done my best by everyone, that’s the sort of chap I was. I never asked for anything that wasn’t mine by rights. If I wanted a drink I paid for it and if I took my wages I done my job, see? That’s the sort of chap I was and I don’t care who knows it.” Another guy, who is in heaven, sort of starts arguing with him that it really doesn’t matter. But the guy continues in his tirade, “What do you keep arguing for? I’m only telling you the sort of chap I am. I only want my rights. I’m not asking for anybody’s bleeding charity.” The guy in heaven responds, “Then do. At once. Ask for the Bleeding Charity. Everything is here for the asking and nothing can be bought.”
Wow, what a great reminder of the same beautiful truth. We so badly want to earn just what we feel we deserve in this life and beyond. Thank God that he does not give us what we deserve. Instead, he gives us what Christ deserves. The “Bleeding Charity” is ours for the taking if we will only admit that we cannot earn its rewards on our own.
No comments:
Post a Comment