Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Missing the Mark

I had the best intentions as I drove home from work today... I was going to run 6.3 miles (3 times around Lake Olmstead) and then go to my favorite little coffee shop to study the material from last night's lecture AND look over tomorrow night's Bible study material. I was only about about two-thirds successful on all counts. The run was prematurely ended due to slight pains in my left hip and right knee - nothing to be alarmed about, but I didn't NEED to run 6.3 miles and decided to settle for 4.2. Then at the coffee shop I was diligently working on my studies when a co-worker walked in. Thankfully this is one of the few co-workers who already knows I am trying to leave, so he wasn't alarmed at the Anatomy/Physiology book. BUT he proceeded to chit-chat for about 15-20 minutes right then and ANOTHER 20 minutes before he left. I think the time he sat there and studied (ie. fooled around on the internet) was less than the total time he wasted talking to me. Due to these interruptions, I had to cut my studying down and only finished a little more than half the schoolwork. I finished the rest of the Bible study but only because I was almost done.

To add to the futility of the evening, I had the bright idea of saving some money on my coffee purchase, which is normally a small cafe au lait for $2.62 with tax ($2.45 without tax). I noticed on the menu a small machiatto for $2.00 and thought that might be a better deal. Was I ever mistaken! The cafe au lait comes in a "normal" sized coffee mug. The machiatto came in a miniature espresso cup, which - despite it's cuteness - could not have been more than about 2 ounces of drink! And to make matters worse, I tried to microwave the last half ounce (which got cold when previously mentioned co-worker walked in) and it bubbled over. So I probably only got to drink about two-thirds of my 2-ounce, $2.00 machiatto. I think I better go to bed before attempting anything else tonight. I will pat myself on the back as I fall asleep realizing that I did manage to write a whole blog entry, however useless it may be.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love keeping up with you and Julie by reading your blogs...and they are such good ones! Happy Birthday Kristen! 28 is great, you will love it!

Unknown said...

Thanks Sara! I'm sure 28 will be great... Hopefully last night wasn't a bad omen :-)

Anonymous said...

28! Your glass isn/t even half full yet. "Have you ever noticed?....Anybody going slower than you is an idiot. And anyone going faster is a maniac."---Andy Rooney.
Have a HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
I'll call tonight.
---dad

Julie said...

Happy Birthday, K! I hope today was a better day.